the social stuff....

Follow me on Facebook Subscribe to my Youtube Channel Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Pinterest Email Me Add me on snapchat

Tuesday 8 April 2008

Comfort Food & Healthy Muffins!

Two in one night cuz I haven’t blogged for a bit as I’ve been on site (at a gross show about food & meat machinery! Blergh) living off a diet of PB&J sandwiches and Chinese takeout! After working stupidly long hours, had a shite day at work and got totally deflated by some overly picky clients! So comfort food was in order and this was what I came up with.

Crispy southern fried tofu with steamed veg, maple glazed carrots and mushroom sauce. Seriously seriously good!




Cooking to Heart’s greatest hits. 80s goodness! (I always ALWAYS listen to music when I’m cooking, so from now on if I remember, I’m gonna tell you what I was cooking to!)

The muffins..... I been resisting the urge to bake delicious, sugary cupcakes and stuff myself with them, so I opted for a healthier muffin I could have for breakfast or a snack and so I will have something to take on-site with me this week so I can avoid crisps!

Bran, fruit, brown flour and way less sugar than normal – my attempt at a healthier muffin! The good news is that they don’t taste like plywood – like most bran muffins I’ve tried before. Recipe is at the end of the post.


Ingredients:
180ml / ¾ cup Soy Milk
1 cup Bran Cereal (like All-Bran but vegan)
60ml / ¼ cup Sunflower Oil (or other light oil)
60ml / ¼ cup Agave Nectar
60ml / ¼ cup Blackstrap Molasses
¼ cup Golden Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Orange Extract
1½ cups Wholemeal Plain Flour
Zest of one Orange
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ cup Dried Cranberries
¼ cup Raisins

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases.

Mix together the soy milk and bran in a bowl and set aside to let the bran get mushy.

Mix together the rest of the wet ingredients and the sugar and stir well. Stir in the bran/soy milk mixture.

Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix, or you’ll get tough muffins!

Divide between the muffin tins and bake until just firm and a knife comes out clean (between 15 and 25 minutes, depending on your oven, mine took just over 20 minutes).

I tend to overfill mine cuz I like them tall, which gives me 10, but if you were more sparing you could probably stretch it to 12!

Cooking to Back in Black – AC/DC

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak to me, yo!