the social stuff....

Follow me on Facebook Subscribe to my Youtube Channel Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Pinterest Email Me Add me on snapchat

Tuesday 29 April 2008

Idle hands and all that...

Nothing on telly = time to do some cooking so here's what I came up with tonight.

I bought this citrus press for a tenner off amazon and my god I freaking LOVE it!! I used it tonight to make lime curd. I've been trying to make a decent lemon curd since I went vegan and failed many times. But this turned out really good! Recipe below pics.

Seriously - look at those empty limes! This bad boy squeezes out every last stinkin drop of juice! It's AWESOME!


Lime Curd Ingredients:
Juice & zest of 3 limes
1 tbsp arrowroot
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/8 tsp (a pinch) of salt
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 tbsp vegan margarine


Method:
Mix together the lime juice, arrowroot and sugar in a pan. Heat over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until it bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat and whisk in the lime zest, agave, salt and lemon extract. Leave to cool slightly - when warm but not hot, whisk in the margarine.

I made this bean dip too. I have been eating my homemade hummus this week as a snack at work but it's all gone and in the absence of any chickpeas in my cupboard, I came up with this instead and I think I prefer it!!

Bean Dip:
1 small can of butter beans
1 small can of kidney beans
tbsp or so (a good glug) of olive oil
1 heaped tbsp cashew butter
A pinch (1/8 tsp or so) garlic granules
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cumin
A couple of tbsp of water
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh Parsley (a tbsp or so)

Method:
Drain and rinse the beans and put in a food processor with the oil, cashew butter, garlic & cumin. Pulse and scrape down. Add water a tbsp at a time, and process until it is the constency you like. Add salt & pepper to taste and then roughly chop the parsley and add to the processor. Pulse until mixed.

Tonight's dinner - a Sal experiment. Sometimes they work, sometimes they fall flat on their arse. This one worked. Tofu, baked in its marinade, braised gem lettuce (YUM) and mashed potatoes, with creamy sweetcorn & mustard sauce.



I made a jug of spicy icey tea (oh my god, was that as lame as I think it was, yes it was). Basically, 2 spiced tea bags, 1 lemon green tea bag, about 100ml of boiling water, topped up with apple juice, ice and a squeeze of agave nectar. Tasteee.


I made some more orange & pistachio yoghurt - exactly the same recipe & process as the yoghurt ice cream but this time I didn't freeze it.

This is the amount of water that comes out of the yog when you leave it overnight.


This is what the yoghurt looks like when it's drained.

This time, I whisked it with my electric whisk to get it really smooth!

Tomorrow's brekky, the one on the right will be mush. I've tried this a few ways now and I have found it's best to just do enough for 1 sitting at a time (hence the small pot) and add the fruit fresh in the morning. That way it doesn't go brown or watery.


Tomorrow & Thursday's (and probably Friday's) lunch. Pasta salad.


Lastly - I bought too many peppers, so thought an easy (pfft, yeah right!) way to use them up would be to roast them and peel them and keep them in olive oil. Next time I'm buying a chuffin jar of them!

Ready for throwing in pasta and stuff....


Wow, long post!

Cooking to: Motley Crue's Greatest Hits. Ooooh. Yeah. BAAAAAABBYYYY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak to me, yo!