the social stuff....

Follow me on Facebook Subscribe to my Youtube Channel Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Pinterest Email Me Add me on snapchat

Thursday 19 September 2013

Vegan MoFo Day 19 - Jockies' Whips

I don't really like this post title,  not very vegan is it! But I couldn't find anything that relevant. Funnily enough there's no rhyming slang for polenta.

So here's last night's dinner; part awesome, part cheater stuff I pulled out the Bacardi breezer!  I found me a fry's burther and some granary rolls and defrosted those (that is Reggae Reggae Ketchup you see on the bun!).  While the burger was cooking I made some polenta and then poured it into small Tupperware to firm up.

The coleslaw was just single serving made of a handful of carrot, a handful of shredded cabbage, a teaspoon of vegan mayo and a tablespoon of soya yoghurt then a bit of salt & pepper.  The sweetcorn & beans just had a bit of salt, vinegar and sriracha on to make them less boring.


Then I cut up the polenta into fries and pan fried it in a bit of cooking spray just until it browned up a bit.  Man they were SOOOOO good. I need to do this more often.

Close up of the polenta jockey whips (sorry!)
 
And to make up for the post title, here's a little pic of me Postman Pat, who was looking very lost this morning, as Daddy Alien is away for a few days. She was just wandering around looking for someone to give her attention, I felt mean having to leave her and go to work!
 
Kat Slaters
xXx
 
Cockney translations of the day
Jockies' Whips - Chips
Bacardi Breezer - Freezer
Postman Pat - Cat

8 comments:

  1. Aw, poor Postman Pat! I want to snorgle her!

    Polenta is one of my favorite foods. It doesn't matter if it's just the mushy stuff or a nice fried up version like yours - I can never get enough of the stuff. Your polenta Jockies' Whips look super crispy and yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel too sorry for her. that adorable face barfed all over the living room floor yesterday. It was unpleasant!

      Delete
  2. Adorable cat!

    Do you have a favourite type of polenta or recipe/technique to get it sliceable? I'd like to give those a go but don't have great luck getting it sliceably firm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I am probably not doing it right... but what I did for these was bring a cup of water to the boil, added a stock cube then slowly whisked in 1/4 cup of medium cornmeal. Then turn it down because that stuff volcanoes like crazy! Cook it stirring every so often for about 5 minutes and then add some nooch (a couple of tbsp.). By this point it was already quite thick so I just put it into a Tupperware and pressed it down. It was sliceable (but still soft so be careful) in about 5 minutes. Then I just gently pan-fried it for a few mins each side. HTH x

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I thought Jockies' Whips was going to mean something verrrrry different.
    That looks really good. I love polenta in all variations, but chips might be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah, your theme is so fun!

    I've never made polenta fries - chips! - but now I think I have to.

    ReplyDelete

speak to me, yo!